DUBNetwork Feature game of the night: Wheat Kings @ Tigers 7:30 MST
In another air tight Eastern Conference match-up, the Wheat Kings continue their make or break road trip tonight against the Medicine Hat Tigers at the Canalta Centre. The Wheat Kings are close to being in hot water, as a regulation loss tonight their playoff hopes would be on the brink of being over.
The Brandon Wheat Kings (30-26-4-4) are officially in the danger zone, coming into tonight with three points in their last five games. The playoff hopes for a team that was riding a hot streak just a short time ago are starting to fade, as after tonight there’s only three games left on the season. The Wheat Kings have faced the Tigers in three meetings this season, they lead the season series, but in their last meeting they really dropped the ball falling 5-0 in the same arena they drive into tonight. Interestingly enough, in the last five seasons in Medicine Hat, the Wheat Kings are 3-3-1-0 in seven games. To stop the playoff door from closing the veteran players in Stelio Mattheos and Luka Burzan will have to step up and contribute at both ends of the ice.
The Medicine Hat Tigers (32-26-4-2) haven’t been doing themselves any favours lately either, coming in riding a 1-8-1-0 stretch over their last ten games. On a similar run like their opponents tonight, the Tigers can’t give the Wheat Kings any hope tonight or else they could find themselves on the outside looking into the playoff standings. Medicine Hat is coming off of a 5-2 loss last night at the hands of the Lethbridge Hurricanes, failing to collect any points in the standings.
With Mads Sogaard set to take the cage tonight the Tigers look for a renewed hope as the rookie goaltender only holds a 1-4-0-0 record in his last six starts. Something that’s been a massive turn around from earlier on in the season where Sogaard was seemingly unbeatable. Sogaard got the yank after just one period in his last start against the Calgary Hitmen on Wednesday after allowing four goals on just nine shots.
Expected in goal:
- Jiri Patera (BDN) 3.234 GAA, .908 SV%- Has lost back to back starts allowing four goals in each of those games.
- Mads Sogaard (MH) 2.632 GAA, .922 SV%- Sogaard has not had luck on his side, getting the yank after 20 minutes in his last start.
Other games on tap:
Regina Pats (18-43-1-2) @ Moose Jaw Warriors (36-19-6-2)
- Justin Almeida plays his first game for the Warriors after signing an NHL Entry Level contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Swift Current (10-47-4-2) @ Saskatoon Blades (42-14-8-0)
- The Blades continue to roll, 9-1-0-0 over their last ten games.
Calgary Hitmen (36-23-5-1) @ Lethbridge Hurricanes (37-18-5-5)
- The #2 and #3 teams in the Central Division do battle tonight, ‘Canes coming in riding a five game winning streak.
Kootenay ICE (12-42-7-3) @ Red Deer Rebels (32-25-4-2)
- ICE are looking to play spoiler on Red Deer who are in the midst of a crazy playoff race in the Central Division.
Kamloops Blazers (24-32-5-2) @ Kelowna Rockets (27-30-5-2)
- Part two of a home and home series, Kamloops clinging to playoff hopes as they took two points last night, and look to do the same tonight in Kelowna.
Portland Winterhawks (39-19-3-3) @ Prince George Cougars (17-40-5-3)
- On a MEGA 50/50 night in Prince George, the Cougars look to bounce back after falling 3-2 last night to the same Winterhawks team.
Everett Silvertips (46-14-2-2) @ Seattle Thunderbirds (27-28-6-2)
- Everett is 7-1-1-0 against the T-birds this season, as they look to continue their reign over the Western Conference.
Victoria Royals (33-27-2-2) @ Spokane Chiefs (36-20-2-5)
- Spokane 22-7-0-3 at home this season, looking to clinch the season series against Victoria with a win tonight.
Vancouver Giants (45-15-2-2) @ Tri-City Americans (34-26-3-1)
- Vancouver comes in two points back of Everett for first in the Conference, looking to play catch up now to be the top dog.