Keith Hershmiller

Denomie happy to be Home

After parts of three season in Kamloops and Moose Jaw, Carson Denomie is back home.

“It’s fun. I get to live at home and see my family all the time now,” said Denomie after his first game with the Regina Pats.

Carson Denomie at the Telus Cup national midget hockey championship.
(Photo – Brent Braaten)

Denomie scored 36 goals and added 23 assists in 30 games for the Bantam AA Regina Pat Blues. That season, he also contributed two goals and four assists while playing for the Midget AA Capitals on their run to a South Saskatchewan Midget Hockey League title. That prompted the Kamloops Blazers to draft him in the 5th round of the 2015 Bantam Draft.

He spent the next two seasons playing for the Regina Pat Canadians Midget AAA program. In 2016-17, they won the league title and Denomie was named  to the second all-star team.

“He’s going to be a good player for us” – Pats head coach Dave Struch on Denomie

Denomie then made the jump to the Western Hockey League with Kamloops. He spent a season and a half with the Blazers before they made a trade with Moose Jaw to send him back to Saskatchewan. While with the Blazers, Denomie played 102 games, putting up seven goals and 26 assists.

Carson Denomie
(Photo – Allen Douglas/Kamloops Blazers)

In Moose Jaw, Denomie was able to find some success, scoring seven goals and six assists in the final 31 games of the 2018-19 season. That momentum carried into this season, where he scored five goals and eight assists in the 19 games for Moose Jaw before the trade to Regina.

DUBNetwork spoke with Denomie about the trade.

“The guys in Moose Jaw were awesome,” he said. “Definitely gonna miss those guys. It’s obviously nice to be at home and get a little bit more opportunity here with Regina, so I’m just gonna try and make the best of it.”

“Some leadership and some offensive ability,” Denomie said when asked what he’s going to bring to the Pats. “I’m an older guy in the league — it’s my third year now. So bringing some leadership and then possibly help contribute to some wins.”

Head coach Dave Struch had a few things to say about Denomie.

“He’s going to be a good player for us. He can handle the puck and he shoots the puck well.”

Carson Denomie
(Photo – Kayle Neis)

That skill has translated well with the Pats so far. He has contributed two goals and six assists in his first 10 games. Those points have injected new life into the power play, where Denomie has contributed one goal and five assists. That has helped the team’s power play climb out of the basement, going 10-for-29 in the past eight games.

“We made little tweaks here and there and I think we’ve got the right guys and we’ve been moving it really well,” said Ty Kolle about the power play after the teddy bear toss game versus Red Deer.

“They’re great on-ice guys,” Kolle said regarding the moves that brought Denomie and Carter Chorney to the team. “They’re a great addition. Obviously, Dens (Denomie) has been awesome for our play and Chorns (Chorney) is a really skilled forward as well.

“I think all the trades we’ve made have really helped us out.”