Kamloops Blazers

Home Forums BC Division Kamloops Blazers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Trafford 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Kamsurvey
    Participant

Any idea why Brodi Stuart is not getting any attention in regards to 2019 NHL draft? Is it simply because he was not on anyone’s radar going into the season? He has put up similar numbers to some of the other guys that Draft Geek has in the WHL’s top 15. He is not even listed as a possibility on Elite Prospects site. Shepard is listed there and he has about half the points Stuart has. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying he should be a high draft pick, just not sure why he is being completely ignored?

Glen Erickson
    Participant

Great question, Kamsurvey. Stuart has established himself as a solid forward and note the team doesn’t hesitate to utilize him late in games and in shootouts. Pretty confident scouts recognize his skills/ It won;’t be long until we see him in rankings.

Kamsurvey
    Participant

Most post should have said 2018 NHL draft. Thanks for the response, glad it wasn’t just me…

Agree with you. He should receive some attention. I will say, NHL scouts are pretty good at ignoring the lists that we all see. If he’s worthy of a pick, he will most likely get picked.

joshh16
    Participant

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic as a Blazer fan and I was a big fan literally the first time I saw him play. But he seems to me like the type of guy a team is going to use as a lottery ticket in the 6th/7th round that in 10 years people will wonder how he wasn’t taken much higher in the draft. Kid’s got good skill and look at the Chyzowski/Benjafield pairing, he gets flipped with Sheppard and bam, it seems like it was one of the worst nights of the year for that pair. Though I admit I missed the game and only saw the box score and highlights.

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic as a Blazer fan and I was a big fan literally the first time I saw him play. But he seems to me like the type of guy a team is going to use as a lottery ticket in the 6th/7th round that in 10 years people will wonder how he wasn’t taken much higher in the draft. Kid’s got good skill and look at the Chyzowski/Benjafield pairing, he gets flipped with Sheppard and bam, it seems like it was one of the worst nights of the year for that pair. Though I admit I missed the game and only saw the box score and highlights.

Could very well end up that way, who knows. Kid is a gamer for sure. Really enjoy that he is going to get more minutes the rest of the year.

Kamsurvey
    Participant

Interesting point made by Alan (on another site) in regards to Ferguson. He pointed out that Vegas has 4 goalies under contract ahead of Ferguson. So there really isn’t room for him in their system this year. Also, this is Ferguson’s first year as a starter in the WHL. It would not be beyond the realm of possibility that they want him to get more minutes as a starter. Kind of a perfect situation for Kamloops as I believe the future in net (Garand) is currently 15, would be good to break him into the league as a backup and not throw him to the wolves as a 16 yr old. This would explain why the Blazers didn’t trade Ferguson. This brings back into question who the 20yr olds will be next year… Obviously you keep Ferguson and Loewen. After that, do you keep Smith or Benji. My personal belief is that we would keep Benjafield (not necessarily a popular opinion in Kamloops). I say this as I believe he has more of an offensive upside. He can be unbelievable at times. Unfortunately, to this point he has not been able to stay consistent. Thoughts?

Interesting point made by Alan (on another site) in regards to Ferguson. He pointed out that Vegas has 4 goalies under contract ahead of Ferguson. So there really isn’t room for him in their system this year. Also, this is Ferguson’s first year as a starter in the WHL. It would not be beyond the realm of possibility that they want him to get more minutes as a starter. Kind of a perfect situation for Kamloops as I believe the future in net (Garand) is currently 15, would be good to break him into the league as a backup and not throw him to the wolves as a 16 yr old. This would explain why the Blazers didn’t trade Ferguson. This brings back into question who the 20yr olds will be next year… Obviously you keep Ferguson and Loewen. After that, do you keep Smith or Benji. My personal belief is that we would keep Benjafield (not necessarily a popular opinion in Kamloops). I say this as I believe he has more of an offensive upside. He can be unbelievable at times. Unfortunately, to this point he has not been able to stay consistent. Thoughts?

could very well happen, ECHL is always a possibility with goalies, lots of them play there to start their pro careers. But yea, it’s certainly a possibility he sticks around.

Mike Trafford

I’d take Smith over Benji in a heart beat. Benji’s terrible play is often over shadowed by him somehow putting up points. Many times this year he’s been the worst player on the ice and miraculously gets 2 or 3 points in a game. To me he’s just too soft of a player… but this is Kamloops so I wouldn’t be surprised if he returned as an soft OA player, heck they might even name him captain!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.