On Monday, July 30th over 100 players from 4 countries will descend on the Sandman Centre in Kamloops, BC to start the arduous journey of successfully making their nations World Junior squad. The World Junior Summer Showcase is a short 11-game tournament consisting of six teams: Canada, USA (both bring split squad teams which they reduce to one team after the first two days), Sweden, and Finland. With a few exceptions due to injury, or oversight, virtually every player who will be on their nation’s World Junior team will be participating in this tournament.
While there were 13 WHL players invited this year, only ten are participating (Canada – eight, USA – one, Finland – one)
- Calen Addison (Lethbridge)
- Ty Smith (Spokane)
- Jett Woo (Moose Jaw)
- Jaret Anderson-Dolan (Spokane)
- Connor Dewar (Everett)
- Cody Glass (Portland)
- Stelio Mattheos (Brandon)
- Michael Rasmussen (Tri-City)
- Jake McGrew (Spokane)
- Henri Jokiharju (Portland)
Starting on Monday July 30th with both Team USA Blue and White in action, the tourney will conclude on Saturday August 4th with Canada vs USA at 2pm PDT and Sweden vs Finland at 5pm PDT. The entire schedule is available here. The TSN (Canada) broadcast schedule is as follows:
- Thursday, Aug 2, 1pm PDT USA vs. Sweden – TSN1
- Thursday, Aug 2, 6pm PDT Canada vs Finland – TSN2
- Friday, Aug 3, 1pm PDT USA vs Finland – TSN1
- Friday, Aug 3, 6pm PDT Canada vs Sweden – TSN2
- Saturday, Aug 4, 2pm PDT Canada vs USA – TSN1
- Saturday, Aug 4, 8pm PDT (delay) Finland vs Sweden – TSN2
It is yet to be determined if the NHL Network will be simulcasting the games in the United States.
Stay up-to-date by following DUBNetwork.ca (@dub_network) all week with daily coverage of the 2018 World Junior Summer Showcase.