Day one is in the books.
The Everett Silvertips held three scrimmages today, kicking off the 2019 training camp sessions.
Some highlights from all three games:
Four players had multiple goal games:
- Jacob Wright scored three goals in the Green/White game. He is a 2002-born forward, so training camp is certainly his time to shine so that he can make the team. So far he’s doing just that.
- Gage Goncalves scored two goals in that game as well, and he’s showing his play has improved offensively. He scored one goal in 67 games last season.
- Luke Lavery, who has a 2004 birthdate, also scored two goals, and returning defenseman Ronan Seeley scored a hat trick, both in the Red/Blue game.
- Defenseman Olen Zellweger was strong today. Drafted by Everett in the 2nd round of the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, he’s eligible to join the team full-time this year. He was strong offensively (his Green team blew out team White 8-2), and even made an offensive play down low to try to chip the puck in.
- Goaltender Braden Holt had a good showing. He was poised and was almost always in great position to stop the puck. With goalie Danton Belluk not reporting, Everett is in the market for a third goaltender in the event that they need another backup, in case of injury, or when Wolf (potentially) leaves for the World Junior Championship. The 2002-born Holt was a 12th round pick by Everett out of Montana in 2018 and is not yet signed.
- Goaltender Rhys Netherton was also in fine form today. But since he is a 15-year-old, he cannot play in the league full time this season. He made a few big saves in the Red/Blue game. Seeley was the only player to get pucks past him.
Silvertips in NHL Training Camps
- Josh Horton of the Everett Herald broke the news today that forward Bryce Kindopp and defenseman Jake Christiansen will be attending NHL training camps. Kindopp will attend the Colorado Avalanche camp, and Christiansen will join the St. Louis Blues.
- Though not officially announced yet, it is expected that Gianni Fairbrother (Montreal) and Dustin Wolf (Calgary) will also head to their respective teams’ training camps.
- Connor Dewar (Minnesota) and Riley Sutter (Washington) are in Everett for training camp, but there is a very strong chance that they do not come back to Everett. Both are expected to join the professional ranks this season.
- Everett is in need of a center, and the 2002-born forwards (Mitch Thiessen, Brendan Lee, and Jacob Wright) all have an opportunity if they do well. Jacob Wright was exceptionally impressive on day one.
- The Silvertips also need to sign defensemen. As of right now, they have eight that are signed: Seeley, Anderson, Wylie, Christiansen, and Fairbrother return, and 2002-born Dylan Anderson and Aidan Sutter and 2003-born Zellweger and Ty Gibson are the rookies vying for time. The five d-men 17 and younger will stay with the team while Wylie, Christiansen, and Fairbrother all attend their NHL teams’ training camps in early September. This could be a great opportunity for the 2002- and 2003-born defensemen to make an impact. We could see another couple get added to that group of five before then as signed WHL players.
- Everett is still carrying four overagers, but they have until October 10 to make a final decision.
- Import forwards Martin Fasko-Rudas and Michal Gut did not take part. Gut is expected to arrive in Everett tomorrow per a team representative.