DUBNetwork Feature Game of the night: Wheat Kings @ Oil Kings 7 PM MST
Two different kind of Kings will face off against each other in WHL action in Edmonton tonight as the Oil Kings look to move that much closer to clinching their playoff spot. These clubs have seen each other three times already this season, and Edmonton has taken two wins in those three games. The Wheat Kings desperately need these points to make it to the post season as well, as they are on the outside looking in when it comes to playoff spots right now.
The Brandon Wheat Kings (29-23-4-4) had been absolutely red hot, now after losing back-to-back games they’ve fallen out of a playoff spot. There’s no reason why they can’t get back in, as they have a game in hand still in their back pocket. Still with a 7-2-1-0 record in their last ten games, Brandon might just see playoff hockey that they’ve been accustomed to seeing every season since 2012-13. Last night the Wheat Kings kicked off a six-game road trip in Calgary falling in overtime to the Hitmen, a road trip that could very well decide the fate of their season.
The Edmonton Oil Kings (36-18-4-4) are coming in just two points shy of a playoff clinch something they could do at home tonight against the Wheat Kings. Edmonton on a similar run to Brandon in their last ten, counting up to 7-3-0-0. Rogers Place has been a castle for the Oil Kings this season as they have not lost in extra time there, posting a 22-9-0-0 record. Something to keep your eyes on for sure is the Oil Kings winning streak, now sitting at five in a row after their victory against Medicine Hat last night.
Expected in goal:
Jiri Patera (BDN) 3.189 GAA, .909 SV%- Stopped 39 of 42 shots last night in an ovetime loss to the Calgary Hitmen.
Dylan Myskiw (EDM) 2.662 GAA, .911 SV%- Has been the winner in four straight starts, not allowing more than two goals in that span.
Other Saturday action:
Prince Albert Raiders (50-8-2-2) @ Moose Jaw Warriors (34-18-6-2)
- These teams meeting for the sixth time this season, PA leads the season series 4-1.
Lethbridge Hurricanes (34-18-5-5) @ Regina Pats (18-41-1-2)
- Lethbridge trying to heat up, they’ve won back-to-back games and are chasing Edmonton for top dog in the Central Division just two points back coming in. This game is also featured on Sportsnet.
Swift Current Broncos (10-45-3-2) @ Medicine Hat (31-25-3-2)
- Medicine Hat in danger of being outside of the playoff picture after tonight, they do play a Swift Current team which they are undefeated against in three games this season.
Calgary Hitmen (33-22-5-1) @ Kootenay Ice (12-39-7-3)
- The Calgary Hitmen come in leading the season series 3-1 coming to play their fifth game tonight.
Vancouver Giants (42-14-2-2) @ Kamloops Blazers (23-30-4-2)
- The Blazers have yet to beat Vancouver this season, the Blazers in the danger zone of being mathematically eliminated from the Post-Season.
Portland Winterhawks (37-18-3-3) @ Kelowna Rockets (26-30-4-1)
- Portland leading the season series 2-0 coming into tonight, the Rockets have only scored two goals against Portland.
Spokane Chiefs (34-19-2-5) @ Tri-City Americans (33-24-2-1)
- Tri-City can clinch a playoff spot with two points tonight, they lead this season series vs. Spokane 6-3.
Prince George Cougars (17-38-5-3) @ Victoria Royals (32-25-2-2)
- Meeting number nine for the Royals and Cougars this season, Royals have won seven of the previous eight games.
Seattle Thunderbirds (25-28-5-2) @ Everett Silvertips (43-14-2-2)
- Everett just two points ahead of the Vancouver Giants for top spot in the West, they come into this one winning back-to back-games.