DUBNetwork Feature Game of the Night: Winterhawks @ Silvertips 7:05 PM PST
The Portland Winterhawks are set to bear the snowy conditions across the Northwestern US to take on the Silvertips tonight in Everett. This will be meeting number nine between the two teams, with Everett leading the season series by a 5-3 count.
The Portland Winterhawks (33-15-3-2) are playing well in their past ten games with a record of 7-3-0-0 and have made up some ground on the Silvertips in the standings. Portland comes into this game just five points back of the ‘Tips for first place in the US Division, although Everett has one game in hand. Last night the ‘Hawks flew over the Thunderbirds with a 4-1 win. John Ludvig put up his first mutli-point game of his career, and rookie Seth Jarvis put up two assists in the winning effort.
2002-born Seth Jarvis has had quite the rookie season so far in Portland. Jarvis has 14 goals, and 17 assists in just 48 games this season. The 11th overall Bantam Draft Pick doesn’t lead rookie scoring in the WHL, but does lead in the category for 2002-born rookies. There’s no doubt Jarvis is already garnering the attention of NHL Scouts, as he’s sure to be a highly rated player if he continues his stellar play into next season.
The Everett Silvertips (37-13-1-1) are back in action tonight after being blanked last night by Mads Sogaard and the Medicine Hat Tigers. The Silvertips last ten games sit at 5-5-0-0, although they’ve only lost one game in their last five. Going for the Silvertips tonight, they do lead the season series, and have been winners in the last two of three meetings between the US rivals.
Even though the Silvertips were blanked last night, Bryce Kindopp’s stats are trending upward. Before puck drop last night, he had 10 points in three games. After last night, it moves to 10 in his last four, which is pretty good nonetheless. Kindopp has exploded this season as far as offense goes, last season he had just 36 points in 72 games, this season he’s averaging over a point per game.
Expected in goal:
- Joel Hofer (POR) 3.791 GAA, .905 SV%- Has allowed 15 goals in his last three starts.
- Dustin Wolf (EVT) 1.808 GAA, .931 SV%- 4-1-0-0 in his last five starts
Other WHL Action:
Saskatoon Blades (32-13-8-0) @ Swift Current Broncos (10-37-2-1)
- Seventh meeting of the season, Swift Current won the last meeting in OT.
Prince Albert Raiders (44-7-0-2) @ Lethbridge Hurricanes (27-15-5-5)
- Prince Albert has outscored Lethbridge 10-2 over two meetings this season.
Moose Jaw Warriors (29-13-6-2) @ Red Deer Rebels (28-18-3-1)
- Red Deer comes into this one on an 0-3-1-0 run, also slipping away in the Central Division standings.
Kelowna Rockets (22-26-4-1) @ Kamloops Blazers (20-26-4-1)
- Kamloops leads the season series 4-2, Kelowna has won two of the last three games vs. Kamloops.
Medicine Hat Tigers (30-18-2-2) @ Seattle Thunderbirds (20-26-5-1)
- Medicine Hat is on a three game winning streak after shutting out the powerhouse Silvertips at home last night.
Kootenay Ice (11-34-7-1) @ Spokane Chiefs (28-17-2-4)
- Spokane has won all four games this season against the Kootenay Ice.
Victoria Royals (26-22-1-2) @ Tri-City Americans (28-19-2-1)
- Tri-City on a three game winning streak and have only lost one game in their last five.