Kelly McGuinness

Wheat Kings star cracks Hockey Canada invitee list

The Brandon Wheat Kings will have some representation when Hockey Canada hosts its virtual National Junior Team Summer Development Camp which goes from July 27-31. The camp is ahead of the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship.

The list of 41 includes the likes of Alexis Lafrenière, Bowen Byram, and Dylan Cozens, just to name a few. Ridly Greig, eligible to be selected in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, is one of the 41 that has been selected to take part.

From Lethbridge, Alberta, Ridly has now played two full seasons with Brandon.

“It feels pretty great to know my name is beside all of those great players,” said Greig. “I’m really looking forward to taking part in it. I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to happen because it’s virtual. Whatever it is, it’ll be great, no doubt about it.”

In a release, Scott Salmond, senior vice president of national teams for Hockey Canada, had this to say:

“We are excited to begin preparations for the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship with this group of players and staff at our online camp. We believe we have a good mix of veteran leadership and young talent that is eager to represent Canada during the holiday season.”

Brandon will also have one more player at the virtual camp as Braden Schneider of Prince Albert has been invited. From the back end this past season, Schneider chipped in with 42 points and was fifth in team scoring.

“He’s obviously a really good player and he’s been there before,” said Greig. “It’s going to be really cool just seeing his face on the screen. I’m happy for him.”

(Photo Credit – Kelly McGuiness)

Now back in Lethbridge, not only is Ridly preparing for whatever comes at the virtual camp late next month, but he’s also getting ready for his third season with Brandon. The Western Hockey League announced its plan to start the season on Friday, October 2.

Brandon was 35-22-4-2 when this past season was ended due to COVID-19. The team had already clinched a playoff spot and was only six points behind the Prince Albert Raiders for the top spot in the East Division. Brandon also mixed in a 10-game winning streak and an 11-game point streak that began late in December of 2019 and ran until late January 2020.

With the 2020-2021 season only a few short months away, Greig is expecting more of the same.

“I have expectations for the team. I think we’re going to be a really solid team,” said Greig. “I think we’re going to have a chance to go for it and make a deep run. I’m expecting to pick up where we left off and go from there.”

Last season was by far Ridly‘s most productive as a WHLer. After posting 35 points in his rookie season in 63 games, Greig chipped in with 60 points, 26 of which were goals last season. He was third in team scoring, just two points behind Luka Burzan who led the team with 62 points.

“My second half was pretty solid, so if I just continue with what I was doing later in the season, I’ll be happy with what happens,” concluded Ridly.