Welcome Back

It has felt like 10 years since we last talked.

Really it was only a little more than a month ago that I wrote we were putting DUBNetwork on hiatus. It was a hard decision and not one I made easily. I have no regrets about pausing things amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. With the WHL announcing its intention to return to play in October, I felt it was time to get the band back together as well as invite some new teammates to experience everything DUBNetwork.

I’d like to take a minute to thank all of those who have departed the website over the last few months. Everyone on the team made a great effort to prop up those around them and give themselves an opportunity to create something.

Stephen Hawco began his own podcast “Giant Thoughts” with which he has already produced three episodes. I’m proud of Stephen’s efforts to cover the Vancouver Giants and before that, his time covering the entire WHL with the Daily Dose. I wish Stephen nothing but success with this new venture.

Ben Dooley worked tirelessly on the Daily Dose and I am forever grateful that he did. He put a lot of effort into the job on a nightly basis and it kept DUBNetwork afloat on days when other writers didn’t have a lot to talk about. Ben continues his work for Global News Radio in Vancouver.

John Easthope moved on to cover the Lethbridge Hurricanes for The Hockey Writers, likewise with Ryan Sinclair covering the Victoria Royals. I thank them both for their hard work over the last few years as we worked to make DUBNetwork grow and wish them the best of luck with The Hockey Writers.

Chris Clark departed the site due to the arrival of his newborn Emma on April 21st. I imagine Chris will continue with the Unofficial Regina Pats Podcast and I wish he and his new family all the best in the years to come!

Freddy Mayer left right around the time the pandemic hit to continue his education in the Calgary area. I wish Freddy all the best as he pursues his educational dreams.

Josh Critzer and Brandon Rivers, who were mainstays on DUBNetwork, are branching out on their own. They are working on an exciting new project they hope to launch soon. Both were important members of our team in management roles. Josh was invaluable to me as someone to bounce ideas off of while covering the Portland Winterhawks. Brandon worked hard to get draft articles and team articles done, especially around important times of the season like the awards, season previews/training camp, and the playoffs.

My co-founder Jesse Philips has also departed the team as he pursues other interests. Jesse has been there through a lot in the last number of years and helped create something pretty spectacular. I am grateful for  Jesse’s hard work and determination in making DUBNetwork everything you enjoyed over the last four years. I wish Jesse and his family nothing but the best and continued success with his other projects.

Now for something completely different

We’re changing some of the things we are doing as we continue to evolve and welcome new writers from across the hockey landscape.

DUBNetwork won’t provide individual game recaps as we move forward. You’ll see more week in review or preview articles but game recaps are better suited to the league and team websites as well as local media (support local newspapers, radio, and TV!).

We have already welcomed some new writers to the team including:

Jeremy Sakamoto – covering the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Jeremy previously reported on the Hurricanes for Canes Domain.

Gino De Paoli – covering NHL Prospects. Gino is the play by play voice of the Okotoks Oilers and Okotoks Dawgs.

Kevin Shaw – covering the Regina Pats. Kevin is the man behind the Blueliner and a member of the Society of International Hockey Research (SIHR). If there is Pats’ history to be found, Kevin is your guy.

Sean Larson – covering the Seattle Thunderbirds. Sean previously wrote for SB Nation covering the Vancouver Canucks and the Oregon Ducks.

Mark Printz – covering the Calgary Hitmen. Mark has worked in the AJHL as well as the WHL. He is a content contributor to the number one hockey podcast in the world, Spittin’ Chiclets, through the social media account, Spittin’ Chiclets Clips.

Brian Wiebe – Brian will help manage the DUBNetwork website and social media in addition to his role as managing editor of BCHLNetwork.

And last but not least we have secured one of, if not the most prominent voice in sports media in Western Canada. Rod Pedersen has joined the team as a contributor for the Regina Pats and Moose Jaw Warriors and anything else he might think of writing.

There will continue to be new writers and contributors added over the coming days and I thank you in advance for supporting them as they learn the ins and outs of DUBNetwork.

As always, I am available anytime on Twitter @paul_figler or send me an email p.figler [at] dubnetwork.ca