Rockets need to ride out Memorial Cup season

Advancing to the Memorial Cup comes with plenty of responsibility. The same certainly applies for the host team.

“I think even to this day, that’s one of the biggest tournaments I’ve ever played in,” said former Kelowna Rockets forward Dillon Dube following the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers rookie showcase in Red Deer. “I think for them, just really enjoy it at home.”

Kelowna knows what it takes to be the host team and win. They took the honors back in 2004 with a 2-1 win in the Memorial Cup final against the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL. Since then just four host teams have won the Memorial Cup in the confines of their own building.

Is it something Kelowna can pull off? Not without some help, a dash of patience and a pile of hard work.

The Rockets have been to the Memorial Cup four times since winning it all in 2004, falling twice in the final, including once in overtime back in 2015 to the Oshawa Generals.

Dillon Dube

Dube, now a Flames prospect, was a member of that 2015 team as a 16-year-old. He had just come off a season where he played in 45 WHL regular-season games. He scored 17 goals and was a contributor in all areas of the ice. His plus-17 rating was an excellent indicator of how good he could be, despite playing in the bottom half of the lineup.

Dube continued to be a force for the Rockets in the 2015 WHL playoffs, playing in all but one of the team’s 19 games on their march to winning the Ed Chynoweth Cup, the WHL’s Championship. He piled up 11 points on five goals and six assists.

While Dube has moved on and has his sights set on cracking the Flames roster full-time, he offered advice to the players who are suiting up for his former club.

“Enjoy the process,” Dube said.

“I think when we went there my first year, (it was) kind of the same position, it’s gonna be a high-pressure situation.”

The 2015 Memorial Cup was more of a learning experience for Dube as he was limited to just one assist in five games, but took six minor penalties. It was certainly tough sledding for the rookie.

“Every game, they are going to have their energy and have their legs under them, so I think it is just enjoying the moment. There’s no better thing than playing in your home town.”

The Memorial Cup

Fifteen years later, can the Rockets do it again?

Nothing about the 2004 team suggested it was going to be a world-beater. Their leading scorer, Randall Gelech, had just 49 points during the regular season. The Rockets scored a total of 185 goals and the team bowed out in the third round against the Everett Silvertips.

If not for an outstanding performance from Kelly Guard and the game-winner from rookie Justin Keller, the Rockets may not have won their only Memorial Cup.

A decade later, the 2015 team was stacked with stars including Nick Merkley, Leon Draisaitl, Rourke Chartier, Tyson Baillie and goaltender Jackson Whistle.

While the 2019 edition does not have that star power, it is certain the Rockets will be looking to improve on their 2018-19 regular season performance. Every team that hosts the prestigious tournament wants to walk in through the front door, meaning they want to enter as WHL champions.

The players on the team need to do their best to avoid distractions. There will be tons of questions from the media as well as from their fan base. Another thing to avoid is “holding the stick too tight” in the hopes of not being moved before the January 10th, 2020 trade deadline.

Unfortunately, it is part of the process. Especially for the hosts of the Memorial Cup.