Gord Rufh- ISN Sports

Kody McDonald – No regrets

Kody McDonald’s major junior career did not end the way he necessarily wanted, but the forward does not second guess his actions.

“I wouldn’t change anything,” said the Victoria Royals’ McDonald at the end of the season. “Looking back at what went down and what was said, I have no regrets.”

Caught by emotion, McDonald lost control while defending a teammate in Game 4 of a first round series versus the Kamloops Blazers.

“You put on a jersey and you’re family. As soon as someone crosses the line, a player like me, I can’t stand to see one of my family members get chirped or abused. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me.”

“I feel getting known for being physical is something nowadays not everybody can do. The game is changing a lot to a more skill game, and it’s hard for players to do both.”

The event was highly publicized, and Blazers fans, led by broadcaster John Keen, were quick with calls to see McDonald banished to a hockey wasteland. While no one will ever know if the voices from the Blazers were loud enough to sway the league to enforce a larger penalty, in the end it was the last time McDonald was on the ice in the WHL.

“Looking back and seeing the guys fight for six games, trying to get me back in the lineup, it’s something I’ll never forget. I really appreciated that from them, it’s had a very positive impact on me.”

McDonald was a pivotal piece for the Royals in the opening games of the playoff series versus Kamloops and his absence from the lineup was costly. However, not having the forward in the lineup surely contributed, one could clearly say that his absence did not cost the team their playoff run. Even with McDonald, the Vancouver Giants were a formidable opponent and would have surely still defeated Victoria in the series.

Kody McDonald (photo; Gord Rufh- ISN Sports)

The native of Lethbridge, AB is a throwback player. He will beat you on the scoresheet, in the corners, and likely if needed, in the street. He is a tough player to play against, combining a mixture of skill and sandpaper.

“Playing physical has definitely served me well through my career,” said McDonald. “I feel getting known for being physical is something nowadays not everybody can do. The game is changing a lot to a more skill game, and it’s hard for players to do both.”

Knowing this, the Victoria Royals made sure he was part of a deal that involved sending one of their best players the other way, in Dante Hannoun, to Prince Albert.

“I feel that’s why Victoria brought me in. Prince Albert definitely needed another scorer. The Royals needed some more toughness and that’s what I brought to the team.”

The trade was not easy for McDonald, after being a key member of one of the top teams in the league in the Raiders. “It was a day-to-day thing for sure. Some days it was definitely a lot tougher than others. You’d see some of the boys back in “PA” having a good time and you just miss that kind of thing. The playoff push we had last year really brought us together and having to leave that was a very hard thing.”

Making the move easier was the fact that McDonald had friends on the Royals, notably D-Jay Jerome who is also from Lethbridge.  “Coming here I had four good buddies on the team that I knew from previous hockey experiences and life. It made the transition very easy. Coming to Victoria was very positive on my life and something I’ll never forget.”

Kody McDonald-Kobe Mohr (photo-Andy Devlin/Edmonton Oil Kings)

Looking back on a WHL career that took him to Prince George, Prince Albert and finally Victoria, McDonald has fond memories of each experience. “It’s been a wild ride for sure. Starting out with the Cougars and being known as a rough and tough team, it was good fun.  I was up there for three and a half years, we always had a lot of fun. Moving to the Raiders, I made a lot of memories there with the playoff push last year against Moose Jaw. And then coming to Victoria to finish my career, it was a very easy transition.  I thought the group of guys we had were unbelievable.”

“I wouldn’t change anything for the world.”