Zachary Peters

ICE embark on tough road trip

Back on Sunday, the Winnipeg ICE wrapped up their nine-game homestand with a 5-4 win against the Moose Jaw Warriors. It was the team’s sixth win throughout the homestand.

When the team now hits the ice on Wednesday in Calgary, they will be the leaders in the East Division. Winnipeg has piled up a 29-16-1 record, good for 59 points. That’s two more than the Prince Albert Raiders who are idle on Tuesday.

The Brandon Wheat Kings, meanwhile, have 54 points, but they can increase that to 56 points when they take on the Edmonton Oil Kings on Tuesday night.

After Wednesday’s game in Calgary, Winnipeg plays a game in Red Deer on Friday and that’s followed up with a game on Saturday against the Oil Kings.

“It’s going to be a good test for us. It’s a good chance for us to show what we’re really made of,” said Dawson Barteaux courtesy of winnipegice.ca. “We’re also looking forward to getting in some bonding time, that’s always really important.”

Winnipeg has enjoyed some success against Calgary this season. They’ve played in two games, one of which was a 5-2 win. During that game, Peyton Krebs scored two goals while Liam Hughes made 37 saves on 39 shots. In their other meeting, Winnipeg lost 3-2.

Winnipeg has dominated Red Deer this season. Liam Hughes has a 28 save shutout to his name while the ICE has outscored the Rebels, 11-3.

Saturday’s meeting against Edmonton inside of Rogers Place will be their second against the tough Central Division opponent and they’ll be looking to change the result of last time. Sebastian Cossa made 40 saves while seven different Oil Kings scored in a 7-0 drubbing of the ICE in front of 1373 fans at the Wayne Fleming Arena.

“You always want to be playing strong teams and the Central Division is a really tough division,” continued Barteaux.

Dawson Barteaux was recently acquired by the ICE(photo-Andy Devlin)

Friday’s game in Red Deer will likely be full of emotions for Dawson, who is from Foxwarren, Manitoba. After starting his junior career with the Regina Pats, Dawson played the next 206 games with the Red Deer Rebels.

He was also the captain of the team this season. However, his time as a Rebel came to an end earlier this month as Winnipeg acquired Barteaux at the trade deadline.

Friday’s game will be his first back at the Westerner Park Centrium since being dealt.

(Photo credit – Zachary Peters) Dawson makes his Red Deer return this weekend.

The 20-year-old has been solid as expected since joining Winnipeg. In six games, he has two goals and six assists. He also had one goal and two assists on Sunday when the team beat Moose Jaw.

“There are a lot of good players on this team that I can pass the puck to,” said Barteaux. “I’m just doing my best and I’m trying to help this team win games.”

With his three points on Sunday, Barteaux now has 101 career regular-season points.

After three games on the road, Barteaux and the rest of the ICE will return home for two games against Moose Jaw and Medicine Hat. They will follow that up with another road trip that will see them play Swift Current, Lethbridge twice, and Medicine Hat.