Allen Douglas / Kamloops Blazers

Connor Zary remains focused during busy draft season

Connor Zary has entered his third full season with the Kamloops Blazers, and the 18-year-old forward is beginning to make a name for himself as one of the Western Hockey League’s premier players. 

Amid early-season NHL draft buzz, his selection to Team WHL, and leading the league in scoring with 20 points in 12 games, Zary is remaining grounded with a day-to-day approach that is paying early dividends. 

The WHL announced its 20-man roster ahead of the 2019 CIBC Canada Russia series, two games of which will take place in Saskatchewan, including Zary’s hometown of Saskatoon. “It’s an exciting opportunity, obviously. It’s an honour to be selected into that, and it being my hometown is even more special for me.”

Zary is one of four draft-eligible players on the roster, including Kamloops-born Ryan Chyzowski who plays for the Medicine Hat Tigers. For a lucky few, life in hockey comes full circle. “I went to one of those [games] back when it was called the Subway Series back in the day. I went to that in Saskatoon when I was a kid. It’ll be pretty cool to bring back some memories.”

Connor Zary. Photo by Allen Douglas/Kamloops Blazers

Rather than just recollecting memories at Saskatoon’s SaskTel Centre, Zary will be looking to make new ones when he creates a brief alliance with the WHL’s best on November 13th and 14th. If the Saskatoon native continues his torrid pace of 30 points in 17 consecutive regular-season games, Zary may just play himself onto the radar of two elite groups. 

Not many junior hockey players have the honour of representing their country on the international stage. While Zary may find himself in the World Juniors discussion through the course of the season, the Blazers’ leading scorer insists on staying in the now. “It’s obviously a pretty hard thing to make. I’m just gonna keep my head down and work my butt off.” 

That’s not to say that Zary is ignoring the never-ending chatter during his draft year.

NHL Central Scouting released its ‘Players to Watch’ list on October 7th. The Blazers represented three of the 44 WHL players named to the list with Zary receiving a ‘B’ (second- or third-round pick) rating, while Dylan Garand and Josh Pillar received ‘C’ (fifth- or sixth-round pick) ratings. If his postgame comments following Friday night’s 6-0 victory over Vancouver are any indication, it’s quite likely that Zary does not plan on being a ‘B’ prospect come draft-time. 

Connor Zary. Photo by Allen Douglas/Kamloops Blazers

“I think for me it starts right in the first round. It’s been my goal ever since I was a kid. You dream of going in the first round of the NHL, so I’m gonna work my butt off to get there and I’m not going to let anyone put me down.”

In the meantime, Zary’s focus is on propelling the Blazers up the standings, but the 18-year-old isn’t doing it alone. Along with linemates Orrin Centazzo and Zane Franklin who have joined Zary in the WHL’s top-5 leaders in scoring, Blazers general manager Matt Bardsley pulled the trigger on two early season trades, bringing in 20-year-olds Ryan Hughes and Max Martin.

“I think from the start of the year we knew that we had a pretty good team, but making a few moves, getting guys at that caliber, it really helped us.” After losing their first three games of the season, the Blazers have conceded just one game with Martin and Hughes in the lineup. 

“That did boost our confidence when you get guys that can play in all situations and log big minutes. It’s better to have them on your team than play against them.”

Regardless of which uniforms Zary will put on over the next 12 months, you can expect the same approach. “I’m not gonna dwell on the past. I’m not gonna get too high on the future or anything like that. I’m just gonna try and stay even-keeled and work hard every day.”