Wheat Kings

Brandon bench boss promoted to NHL ranks

Dave Lowry is returning to the National Hockey League and he’s staying in Manitoba.

Lowry — who coached the Brandon Wheat Kings last season — has signed a contract to become an assistant coach for the Winnipeg Jets ahead of the new season.

Lowry led Brandon to a 35-22-4-2 record last season. The Wheat Kings were in third place in the East Division and they had already clinched a playoff berth when the season was paused and then ultimately canceled because of the novel coronavirus.

Over seven seasons in the WHL with the Wheat Kings, Victoria Royals, and Calgary Hitmen, Lowry has a record of 294 wins, 152 losses, and 23 overtime losses. He came to Brandon after he spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings.

Lowry had this to say on a release that was featured on wheatkings.com.

“I’m grateful for my time in Brandon and I really believe I’m leaving a team that has a chance to win”, says Lowry. “I’m excited for the Wheat Kings franchise moving forward and I know with the players who are returning, they know how to win”.

The hiring of Dave means there will now be two Lowrys on the Jets. Adam Lowry is getting ready for his seventh season with Winnipeg. Over 439 NHL games (including playoffs), Lowry has 60 goals and 72 assists.

Stay tuned as Darnell Duff has reached out to Darren Ritchie, Head Coach, and General Manager of the Wheat Kings for comment.