Larry Brunt

Beckman off to a hot start in second season in Spokane

When the WHL, along with the CHL and Hockey Canada, announced the group for Team WHL, which will compete in the CIBC Canada Russia series, there were a lot of expected names on there.

First round NHL Draft picks like Ty Smith, Dylan Cozens, and Bowen Byram were listed and should be in the running to make the U20 World Junior Championship roster for Hockey Canada this December.

One player on that list would not have been expected to be there about a season ago.

Adam Beckman (Photo-Steve Hiscock)

Spokane forward Adam Beckman’s trajectory over the past 14 months has been an incredible one to watch.

He went from being sent back to his Midget team as a 16-year-old to piling up 62 points in his rookie WHL season as a 17-year-old. That resulted in Beckman being drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the third round, 75th overall.

Thinking back on the decision by general manager Scott Carter, head coach Dan Lambert, and the Chiefs to send him back to Midget, Beckman is honest about how tough it was for him.

“I think just the idea that your development is the most important thing. The team’s not going to take that lightly, and I kind of got the idea that is what they thought was the best for me. I thought I could use that. And obviously I was a little upset that I got sent back, but I kind of used that to fire me up,” Beckman recalled.

The fifth-round Bantam Draft pick took to heart what the coaching staff wanted him to improve and went back to the Battlefords Stars of the SMHL. He had an incredible last season in Midget with 44 goals and 34 assists for 78 points in 41 games.

“I had to really listen to what they told me. I had to work on stuff. I went back and was in a position where I was more of the go-to guy rather than maybe not being that while playing up in the WHL at 16.”

After his season ended in the SMHL, he got an opportunity to be a hired gun for the Nipawin Hawks of the SJHL. That team went on to win the SJHL.

Adam Beckman battling with Vancouver (photo – Rik Fedyck)

“I played a game at the end of the year with the Junior Hawks, and then they had a deep playoff run. I got a chance to play in a conference final game and then played two games in the final.”

Sprinkled in there was his WHL debut on September 22nd, 2017, in Prince George.

The following season, Beckman was ready for the WHL. He had 62 points in 68 games in the regular season and then 12 points in 15 playoff games. The Chiefs made it to the Western Conference final.

“I think last year we just had a really special group and a lot of people didn’t expect it from us. But I think in our room we expected it of ourselves. And I think that’s kind of the same pace we have here now, but we want to go a little further.”

Beckman flew onto the NHL scouting radar and was ultimately selected 75th overall by the Minnesota Wild.

Adam Beckman (Photo: Spokane Chiefs/Larry Brunt)

His third-round selection by the Wild came as a happy surprise.

“If you would ask me which team was going to take me, I don’t think I would say Minnesota. I’m just really happy that they did and just really excited about it.”

His first taste of NHL development and then training camp was a hard but fun experience for the 6-foot-1, 178-pound forward.

“It was eye opening just to see how fast some of the guys are. You see how some of the top guys in the NHL are ripping around the ice and you just kind of see their habits and just try and take their habits and bring it back here. I think that’s very important.”

Beckman just finished playing for Team WHL in the CIBC Canada/Russia Series in his hometown of Saskatoon and then Prince Albert. He had three shots on goal over the two games. Playing in Saskatoon was a thrill for him.

“It means a lot. Just another cool thing is that it’s in Saskatoon, so that makes it a little more cool, but it’s nice to be on the radar a little bit. I’m just really excited about it.”

On the radar because Hockey Canada uses the series to take a look at players they might be picking to represent them at the U20 World Junior Championships this winter.

Beckman was joined in Saskatoon and Prince Albert by Spokane teammate Ty Smith. The New Jersey Devils’ signed prospect played for Hockey Canada last season at the World Juniors, and he can help show Beckman the way to playing for their home country.

“For sure that helps a lot. He is probably one of the most respected guys in the league, if not the most. I think that helps having a buddy like that that I’m going there with.”

Now that that series is done, Beckman comes back to the 8-7-2-0 Chiefs. While the team is not starting as well as many thought, Beckman has confidence they can make another long run.

“I think the biggest thing is it’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon. So obviously we’ve got a new coaching staff and it’s not going to come the first day, and I think we’re really starting to gel right now. I think If we continue to keep improving, and keep playing our game, we’re going to be successful because we have all the pieces to do it.”

That new head coach, Manny Viveiros has been impressed with Beckman from the start.

Adam likes to score. You can see that in practice and in game situations when he has the puck on his stick. He certainly is dangerous out there. That is a good attribute to have. Not everybody has a natural ability to score goals and he does. I’m really excited for him to grow and get stronger. He’s got a bright future in front of him.”

Beckman currently is leading the team in scoring with seven goals and 20 assists for 27 points. That is good for seventh in the WHL. His 20 assists are the most in the WHL.

If Beckman can continue to build off the last 14 months, there is no doubt he will not be flying under the radar anymore.