Ben Ludeman/Portland Winterhawks)

2020 NHL draft recap: Portland Winterhawks

100+ days after the NHL draft was originally slotted to take place, it’s finally here: the Portland Winterhawks’ 2020 NHL draft recap. In my 2020 NHL draft preview, I highlighted a few Portland Winterhawks eligible for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. Three of the players were selected and now look to earn a spot with their respective teams.

Round 1 – 13th Overall – Seth Jarvis goes to the Carolina Hurricanes

Day one of the draft proved to be extremely positive for Portland forward, Seth Jarvis. Lucky number 13 indeed. The Winterhawks’ leading scorer during the ’19-’20 season, the Manitoba native’s draft lived up to fans’ expectations. The Carolina Hurricanes add another outstanding goal scorer to their already organization. Jarvis got a warm welcome from Rod Brind’Amour and Don Waddell in a FaceTime call after he and his family learned of his selection.

View this post on Instagram

The future is bright

A post shared by Carolina Hurricanes (@canes) on

Round 2 – 55th Overall – Cross Hanas goes to the Detroit Red Wings

Cross Hanas had a huge day on the second day of the NHL draft. Selected in the second round, at the 55th overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings claimed the creative winger for themself. The Detroit Red Wings have picked up one of the WHL’s most creative players in Hanas.

The Texas native has shown incredible potential over his two seasons in Portland and looks to continue his upward trend. Detroit has been struggling, especially during the ’19-’20 season. Cross Hanas may be able to play a part in helping the Red Wings back to playoff contention in the coming years.

Round 5 – 147th Overall – Jaydon Dureau goes to the Tampa Bay Lightning

Personally, this is the pick I am most excited about in the entire draft. As I had mentioned in my draft preview, I believed Jaydon Dureau was one of the most underrated players available in the 2020 draft. Taken at 147th overall, I truly believe that Dureau will prove to be one of the biggest steals from this year’s class.

The reigning Stanley Cup Champions have been leading the pack for the past few years and have shown no intention of slowing down. They have added another talented player to their already star-studded organization.

That’s it for my 2020 NHL draft recap for your Portland Winterhawks! Congratulations to Seth, Cross, and Jaydon on their selections!

Fingers crossed we’ll get to have this check-in a tad bit sooner (or at least faster) next year!