Matthew Savoie and exceptional status

Home Forums DraftGeek – Bantam AAA News Notes and Players to Watch Matthew Savoie and exceptional status

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jesse Phillips 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

cilo59
    Participant

If the WHL were to grant exceptional status to Savoie, what would the process be and when would the league release such a pronouncement? I know that it hasn’t been done in the WHL and am asking more about the process then Matthew per say

Alan Caldwell

Savoie has to apply for it, so the first step is for he and his family to decide if it’s something they are interested in. If they are, they have to apply to Hockey Canada. I’m not sure if there’s a deadline to apply but one would assume he needs to give Hockey Canada enough time to carry out their examination process.

In Connor McDavid’s case, he was declared exceptional on March 21, 2012 – so a few months before the OHL draft. So if the timeline for the WHL is similar, then Savoie needs to apply in time for Hockey Canada to make a ruling by March 2019. The WHL draft is earlier than the OHL draft though so maybe the decision needs to come earlier.

Savoie has to apply for it, so the first step is for he and his family to decide if it’s something they are interested in. If they are, they have to apply to Hockey Canada. I’m not sure if there’s a deadline to apply but one would assume he needs to give Hockey Canada enough time to carry out their examination process.

In Connor McDavid’s case, he was declared exceptional on March 21, 2012 – so a few months before the OHL draft. So if the timeline for the WHL is similar, then Savoie needs to apply in time for Hockey Canada to make a ruling by March 2019. The WHL draft is earlier than the OHL draft though so maybe the decision needs to come earlier.

I wonder if this is going to happen. I know the guys at Draft Geek are prety high on the kid. A lot of pressure, but we have never seen a Crosby or Mcdavid out of WHL (Correct me if im wrong)

We thought Benson had a shot, but injuries took a toll on him.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.